Skip to Content

Borrowing Books at Other Institutions

As an RRU student or staff member, you have free book borrowing privileges at a number of post-secondary institutions across Canada.
Within British Columbia and the Yukon, you can borrow directly from college and university libraries that belong to CPSLD. Bring your valid RRU ID card and another piece of government ID. For more information see the Council of Post-Secondary Library Directors Reciprocal Borrowing Policy (CPSLD).
Outside of British Columbia, but within Canada, you can borrow books from university libraries if you have a COPPUL card, your valid RRU ID card, and a piece of government ID. To request a COPPUL card, email  When you show your RRU ID and your COPPUL card at libraries participating in the Canadian University Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement (CURBA), you will be issued with a library card from that institution and be able to borrow materials subject to the procedures of that library. The one exception to this is the University of Toronto; COPPUL cards are not accepted there.
Please note that:

  • COPPUL cards are issued upon request by RRU Library staff to RRU faculty, staff, undergraduate and graduate program students with a valid RRU ID card.
  • Cards are not issued to individuals with outstanding library fines.
  • Some libraries exclude undergraduate students from the reciprocal agreement.
  • These agreements extend to in-person book borrowing only.
    • For information regarding borrowing items from other libraries at a distance, please see Resources by Mail.
    • For information about permission to use electronic databases at another university library, contact that library directly. They may allow you to use them on a walk-in basis