Guide to RRU Library services for Alumni
Access to Royal Roads online library resources
Remote access to the library databases ceases 30 days after you have completed the last class in your program of study.
Academic libraries are, generally, contractually unable to provide alumni access to library databases. The publishers from whom we license our content typically strictly prohibit the use of our databases by anyone other than current students, staff, and faculty as the best way that they can limit database use for educational rather than commercial purposes. Once you have graduated and are using the information to make money, they typically charge commercial rates, which is why they are often happy to license the databases to businesses directly at a higher cost than the discounted educational rate. An analogy of a similar model is the educational pricing vs. 'regular' pricing for various software which is also only available to you when you're a university student.
There are other avenues that you can explore for accessing information resources post-graduation. Most public libraries have a suite of online databases that you can access from home once you are set up with an account and many of these databases are the same or similar to some of the ones you have used at RRU. If you work for the government or a large employer, you may have access to research databases through that employer. You can also almost always use most university databases on a walk-in basis which can be useful if you're working on a special project and have a university or college near you. There are also paid for research services, such as Infoaction (at VPL) http://pwp.vpl.ca/infoaction/, which are affordable for a small business person or contractor. If you use one of those services, you can also write off the research as a business expense and have an expert researcher do the work for you.
Please also see the resources that we have collected that are available for RRU Alumni use
Alumni library cards
The Library is pleased to offer a FREE library card to alumni of both the Royal Roads Military College and Royal Roads University. Alumni must provide proof of their status and ID with a current address to obtain a library card. These cards can be renewed every year.Books can be borrowed for 4 weeks and can be renewed if not requested by other borrowers. To request an alumni library card, please visit us in person or email us at the following address: LRC.Notices@royalroads.ca
**Alumni can borrow books from our regular
collection but cannot borrow AV material, periodicals or reserve items.
Borrowing books at a distance
Alumni can have books sent to them within Canada (document delivery) for a fee of $10.00 per request. To learn more about this service click here: http://library.royalroads.ca/document-delivery
The RRU Library website can be accessed here: http://library.royalroads.ca
Open access research sites
- Google Scholar http://scholar.google.ca/
- Google Books http://books.google.ca/
- WorldCat http://www.worldcat.org/
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) http://www.doaj.org/
- Government of Canada Publications http://publications.gc.ca/site/eng/search/search.html
- Hathi Trust Digital Library http://www.hathitrust.org/
- ERIC (Education Resource Information Centre) http://eric.ed.gov/
- PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
- PloS (Public Library of Science) http://www.plos.org/
- Agricola http://agricola.nal.usda.gov/
- The University of Minnesota's Forestry Library http://forestry.lib.umn.edu/bib/index.html
- Forest History Society http://www.foresthistory.org/
- CANLII (Canadian Legal Information Institute) http://www.canlii.org/
- NCJRS (National Criminal Justice Reference Service) http://www.ncjrs.gov/App/AbstractDB/AbstractDBSearch.aspx
- Canadian Disaster Database http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs/cndn-dsstr-dtbs/index-eng.aspx
- EM-DAT The International Disaster Database http://www.emdat.be/database
- Global Terrorism Database http://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/
- FEMA Online Library http://www.fema.gov/library/
- SME Benchmarking Tool http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/pp-pp.nsf/eng/home
- EconPapers http://econpapers.repec.org/
- Statistics Canada http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/index-eng.cfm
- Statistics Canada - The Daily http://www.statcan.gc.ca/dai-quo/
- Statistics Canada - Community Profiles http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/prof/92-591/index....
- Collection of Computer Science Bibliographies http://liinwww.ira.uka.de/bibliography/
- Theses Canada Portal http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/thesescanada/
- UMI Dissertations Express http://dissexpress.umi.com/dxweb/search.html
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary http://www.merriam-webster.com/