Skip to Content


Figures, diagrams, and drawings are considered to be “whole works”, and they are protected by copyright. Redrawing or adapting a figure will also require copyright permission.


Facts are not protected by copyright, however presenting facts in a new or unique way may be. For example, a table presenting statistical data on the Montreal population is not protected, but a table presenting this data in a specific way may be. You will need to carefully consider the content of a table when determining if you require copyright permission to reprint it. Feel free to contact the copyright office if you have questions.


If you create a map using a cartography program you will not need permission to publish it in your thesis, however if you adapt or use a map that someone else created it will require copyright permission. If you purchase a map or aerial photograph for your thesis make sure that the purchase agreement is for commercial use of the image. Maps that belong to your sponsoring organization still require copyright permission.

Maps from Google Maps and Google Earth do not require copyright permission as long as you obey their stipulations regarding attribution and use. You should carefully review their copyright website if you are considering using their maps in your thesis
Visit, and read the information under "Using Maps in Print".

Your Map must include Google’s copyright attribution from the map you are using. Please make sure you read and understand the stipulations outlined on Google's attribution page:


Any photographs that you did not take yourself will require copyright permission, and you should not include photographs of human research participants. We also recommend blurring the faces of people who appear in your photographs, unless they have given you permission to take their picture for your thesis.

Images and photographs found through Google Images or on websites such as are not necessarily ok to use without permission. You will need to determine who owns the copyright to the images you wish to use, and if they haven’t indicated that it’s ok to use them for commercial use, you will need copyright permission to publish them in your thesis. Most of these sites allow you to search specifically for images that have been released for commercial reuse.

If you are using Aerial Photographs that belong to your sponsoring organization, you will need to get copyright permission to use them. If you purchase Aerial photographs, make sure you are able to publish them commercially before purchase. 


You will need to obtain copyright permission to publish logos in your thesis. You may want to consider removing logos from your manuscript if they aren't necessary .
You may use the "RRU learner" or the "RRU student" logo in your thesis without permission; however you may not use the general RRU logo without permission from the Royal Roads marketing department.

Sitemap | Privacy Statement | Copyright Statement | Academic Regulations & Policies | Computer Services
©1997-2017 Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada V9B 5Y2
Phone: 250-391-2511, Toll-free 1-800-788-8028